Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Bookends

Well, school has started. Always a bittersweet time, but especially so now. I never know whether to dance a jig of joy or crumple to the floor in a sobbing heap. A little of both, generally.

I'm especially teary today because my bookend children hit new milestones. My eldest started high school, and my youngest started kindergarten. Sob!

I can't believe my oldest baby is in high school.

Seems like only yesterday she was the one starting kindergarten, getting on that giant school bus all alone....and now she looks so grown up, so mature.

Always a very shy child, she was quite anxious about starting school, way back when. So in first grade, I gave her a "worry stone," a little polished purple and white stone just made for holding and rubbing with your thumb. I told her it would remind her of mama's love for her and give her strength to get her through.

Guess what she took to high school with her yesterday. Sob!

And I can't believe my youngest, my baby, is in kindergarten.

Seems like only yesterday she was born into my arms, in the water, and we sat in the recliner afterwards, sticking out our tongues at each other and making faces. I couldn't believe how alert she was, how interactive.

She was my last baby, my late-in-life baby. And now she's at school.

Where did the time go?

I think I need some valium.

1 comment:

Evan and Clover and Co. said...

What a beautiful baby she was! I had a baby that spent her first twenty minutes sticking her tongue out at me, too. But my firstborn daughter is the one that has me weepy this week-- she's started kindergarten!